cc-education - Re: [cc-education] proliferation, balkanization

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <david.wiley AT usu.edu>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] proliferation, balkanization
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:33:55 -0600

There are many laudable goals that are nevertheless inappropriate for
CC in my opinion. At my school, there is a program to donate physical
books to Ethiopia. It's great, but it has nothing to do with the concept
of the /commons/. Likewise, the proposed cc.edu license seems to me to
violate the concept of a commons. It's not a commons if it provides a
way of excluding people. Logically, we could next have the cc.god license,
to be used only in churches.

Interesting examples again.  =)

So why doesn't the traditional cc offend you? By your definition it can't have anything to do with the /commons/ either, since every cc places restrictions either on attribution, commercial use, derivative works, or some combination thereof. Is the public domain dedication the only license acceptable to you?

I realize this email could sound condescending - please understand that's not the intent. I'm asking this sincerely. Maybe you really didn't like the normal cc in the first place, and the cc.edu is just worse from your perspective. I could completely understand and respect that.