cc-education - Re: [cc-education] proliferation, balkanization

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] proliferation, balkanization
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:11:28 -0000

Hi: It won't be that long, if we're not already there, when we begin to
talk about the Internet, not as something we access with a desktop
computer, but as something we access with devices we carry around with
us. Content from the Internet will be interfaced within these devices,
allowing the individual to interact with the material displayed in many
different ways.

Young children and students in Third World countries will be able to
participate at a number of levels, as the devices become affordable and
available. These young people will want to be able to wrap their arms
around CC licensing issues. If they see a tag CC-EDU, they need to
understand the limits of that tag/license. The first question they'll
probably ask, is whether it is different from the CC-HEALTH tags, or
CC-MUSIC tags, or CC-ART tags that they work with.

I came across a term, rivalrous, that seemed to be opposed to
non-rivalrous, implying that ideas are considered non-rivalrous, and
physical property was considered rivalrous. How will the CC-EDU license
treat the content, as opposed to the device? To help visualize the
future, try to think in terms of how devices will display material
across the Internet. Will it be on computers? Will it be through
e-books, glorified cell phones, or better:
http://www.uk.research.att.com/bphone/

Internet2 is active and moving and exciting and dangerous! The CC-EDU
license needs to ensure not only author attribution, ensure not only
protection against abuse, but also access by inner-city kids, kids in
Third World countries, and the disabled.

At what point will the author claim original work, rather than
derivative work of those who came before? When you mix education and
commerce, it's a tough road, considering the audience. The Digital Age
requires we all rethink what the purpose of copyright was, is, and will
be.

If someone likes what I write, they can contact me and ask to purchase
the "deluxe, beautifully bindered, lovely artificial leather, engraved"
version for $2.98 plus shipping. They can ask me to speak for a modest,
but rewarding speaker's fee. Will I worry about whether or not some
jerk decides to commercialize my writing, and make a fortune? Probably
not. When the jerk makes enough money, a lawyer can do the worrying.
The Creative Commons licensing options should reflect only that legal
information necessary for the lawyer to do her work. Thus, after all
this, if you're still reading, ask whether the CC-EDU license needs to
be more restrictive than what is already available with the present
choices.
Thanks,
Tom Poe
Open Studios