cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Creative Commons Consolidation of Developer Pages

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • To: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT yergler.net>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, Björn Lindström <bkhl AT stp.lingfil.uu.se>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Creative Commons Consolidation of Developer Pages
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:38:26 -0700

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 09:47 -0500, Nathan R. Yergler wrote:
> > I'm pretty attached to darcs, myself. It has the advantage of not
> > requiring any support from the host. We can just upload a copy of the
> > repository to our web space.
>
> Yeah, I've played with darcs lately on my own and have enjoyed it. I
> have read an argument against distributed version control recently which
> makes me question it's appropriateness (basically the argument was that
> things like CVS and SVN, for all their faults, *force* you to move your
> code off your desktop and into the repository). But I can be convinced.

Right, I have paid attn. to these arguments too, but I don't feel like
being the guinea pig for new techniques for development processes. I
think even the move to SVN is a long slow process, but a necessary
one...however, CVS does work, and is still used by probably 90% of open
source projects.

> > I also think we should stay away from tla, or any other horrendously
> > over-complicated revision control systems. Possibly I would say the same
> > about Subversion, if I had any experience with it.
>
> The Zope3 project has moved from CVS to SVN with good results. Talking
> to Jim Fulton, it sounds like most of their problems (mostly with the
> Berkeley DB backend) have been solved in later releases of SVN. So I
> could support a move to a SVN-backed system.

Yes, I agree that staying away from big groupware and overly complicated
systems is key...Basically, most every project I've seen that uses
groupware or some overly complicated system (and even complex blog or
wiki software) tanks or has to redo their system after the contributions
stop coming in because the social barrier is set too high. Just think
about how something like requring a user to have 5 different user/pass
pairs screws with development time...how to shrink these things are key.

> > I've approached Savannah about hosting libcclicense, and they weren't
> > hostile to the idea. They don't have Subversion yet, but are apparently
> > looking for someone that wants to help them set that up.
>
> If they don't have Subversion yet, does Savannah gain us anything
> besides positive RMS karma? (It may, I really don't know)

The only thing about Savannah is that they got hacked b4 and they did
the silly thing of going offline for a few months...and then basically
dev. on any Savannah project froze. I remember this well and it totally
sucked!

> > In general, though, I don't have any strong feelings on this issue,
> > other than that we should certainly not host more stuff on Sourceforge,
> > since so many of us has had bad experiences with them.

I still think to decide this on a per-project basis is good. CCPublisher
and other things are fine where they are and the community needs to just
rally around making the portal to development unified IMO at present.

Theres no point to have a project space if there are no projects ;) or
goals, right?

> > PS. For those that wonder why I'm not in the IRC channel, or writing
> > more here - I'm just really busy right now. I'll probably get more
> > involved again in September.

Life takes precedence, right? See you in Sept!

Jon Phillips

San Francisco, CA
Mission District
USA PH 510.499.0894