cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Creative Commons Consolidation of Developer Pages

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Bjorn Wijers <mailings AT bdisfunctional.net>
  • To: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Creative Commons Consolidation of Developer Pages
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:08:08 +0200

Hello everybody, I wonder how many ppl. we have on this list now.

At least 2 :)

Ok, so to further encourage developers, this page that is from the main
page of the CC site, http://creativecommons.org/technology/ , should
have a big section at the top that details how to participate in the
community.

Basically, this technology page should stay the same, but at the top
have in a box or something (so that it stands out):

Join the CC Development Community

Please join the CC Development Community by participating on the
following three communication channels. The mission of CC Development
Community is to support development of Creative Commons standards.

* Chat Channel

Log onto #cc on irc.freenode.net. Then some links to irchelp.net
and other irc apps. for people to use.

* Mailing List

Link to the mailing list sign-up
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/cc-devel

* Wiki: http://dev.creativecommons.org (see next para)

My other thought is to have a subdomain for the dev community which
points to our wiki pages as such: http://dev.creativecommons.org or
http://devel.creativecommons.org What do you all think?

I agree that we should make the development page more 'friendly' and invitating for dev folks. As for the subdomain I would prefer dev instead of devel...its shorter and less prone to typo's.

How else can the site point to the development community?

Another thing we need to add to the pages IMHO is a distinct link on the http://creativecommons.org/technology/ page to the development projects themselves and not burry them in the wiki. So people interested in the technical sides of CCPublisher know that a thing like CCPublisher is available and is looking for developers.

As for the wiki itself I would like to strive to a wiki structure as made by the Wordpress people. Their wiki rocks! See http://codex.wordpress.org

I think these things need to be done before there is any announcement
about these pages, etc.

I agree.

A question that I have is the use of SourceForge as a base for the code at the moment. Personally I have explicitly chosen not to use SourceForge because of it becoming sluggish and less flexible. I'm using berlios.de, a german based FLOSS deposit and it feels a lot less sluggy than SF.

Does it make any sense to reconsider SF as a code deposit? Out of curiosity, what are your experiences with SF?

grtz
BjornW