cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Creative Commons Consolidation of Developer Pages

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT yergler.net>
  • To: Björn Lindström <bkhl AT stp.lingfil.uu.se>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Creative Commons Consolidation of Developer Pages
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:47:43 -0500

> I'm pretty attached to darcs, myself. It has the advantage of not
> requiring any support from the host. We can just upload a copy of the
> repository to our web space.

Yeah, I've played with darcs lately on my own and have enjoyed it. I
have read an argument against distributed version control recently which
makes me question it's appropriateness (basically the argument was that
things like CVS and SVN, for all their faults, *force* you to move your
code off your desktop and into the repository). But I can be convinced.

> I also think we should stay away from tla, or any other horrendously
> over-complicated revision control systems. Possibly I would say the same
> about Subversion, if I had any experience with it.

The Zope3 project has moved from CVS to SVN with good results. Talking
to Jim Fulton, it sounds like most of their problems (mostly with the
Berkeley DB backend) have been solved in later releases of SVN. So I
could support a move to a SVN-backed system.

> I've approached Savannah about hosting libcclicense, and they weren't
> hostile to the idea. They don't have Subversion yet, but are apparently
> looking for someone that wants to help them set that up.

If they don't have Subversion yet, does Savannah gain us anything
besides positive RMS karma? (It may, I really don't know)

NRY