cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Creative Commons Consolidation of Developer Pages

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT yergler.net>
  • To: Bjorn Wijers <mailings AT bdisfunctional.net>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Creative Commons Consolidation of Developer Pages
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:40:54 -0500

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 11:08 +0200, Bjorn Wijers wrote:
> > Hello everybody, I wonder how many ppl. we have on this list now.

Just looked at the administration interface -- 17, including CC
employees (Mike & I).

> > My other thought is to have a subdomain for the dev community which
> > points to our wiki pages as such: http://dev.creativecommons.org or
> > http://devel.creativecommons.org What do you all think?

I'm not sure how this is different than our current situation, where
wiki.creativecommons.org hosts the Wiki. I think a single Wiki is best
for us organizationally at this point, so dev.creativecommons.org would
at most just be a mirror for wiki.cc.org.

> As for the wiki itself I would like to strive to a wiki structure as
> made by the Wordpress people. Their wiki rocks! See
> http://codex.wordpress.org

Yeah, they have great documentation. 90% of what makes it great (in my
opinion) is the front-page index. They have editting disabled right
now, but do you know if they're manually maintaining that index or doing
it programmatically? If they're maintaining it manually (which is my
impression, given I can't see any pattern in page categories, etc), then
I'd suggest that anyone interested should create a new page in the wiki
-- NewMainPage, or something, and put together a draft. It also might
be interesting to revamp http://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/Developer
only, as a better Developer index.

> A question that I have is the use of SourceForge as a base for the code
> at the moment. Personally I have explicitly chosen not to use
> SourceForge because of it becoming sluggish and less flexible. I'm using
> berlios.de, a german based FLOSS deposit and it feels a lot less sluggy
> than SF.

Yeah, their mailing list archives suck (hence the ibiblio cc-devel
list), but we don't have the bandwidth to maintain developer
infrastructure internally, and I haven't seen anything so compelling as
to justify the pain of moving (but I can be convinced).

So at this point, I don't see the CC sponsored projects moving from
Sourceforge.

Nathan R. Yergler
Software Engineer
Creative Commons