cc-be - Re: [Cc-be] CC music at Fosdem

cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons - Belgium

  • From: Severine Dusollier <severine.dusollier AT fundp.ac.be>
  • To: bruno AT indymedia.be
  • Cc: cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org, Catharina Maracke <catharina AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-be] CC music at Fosdem
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:00:28 +0100

Title: Re: [Cc-be] CC music at Fosdem
Dear Bruno,

If you play only CC-licensed music and can prove it, you should not pay anything to the Sabam.
I would suggest you get in contact with the responsible of those perceptions at Sabam and explain your case.
The responsible for brussels is :
Philippe Gontier
Gérant de la Filiale
Sabam - Région de Bruxelles Capitale
Rue d'Arlon 75-77 bte 2
1040 Bruxelles
Tel :++32 2 286 84 74
Fax ++32 2 742 24 60
E-mail : agent.bruxelles AT sabam.be

If there is any problem I could intervene.
That implies however that you can demonstrate that all the music you will play is licensed under CC.

BUT (and it is a big BUT), it is true that if some artists are members of the Sabam (and of any European collecting society with which SABAM collaborates to collect copyright royalties), those artists are normally not allowed to license their works under a CC license. Therefore, for those artists, the licenses they put on their works is not valid for the Sabam.  THis is a big issue right now for CC.
Anyway, I would not raise this point to the Sabam, let them find this legal intricacy by themselves.

If you have any more questions, you can always call or email me

Séverine
belgium CC project leader

Professor - University of Namur
CRID (Research Center in Computer Law)- Head of the IPR Department

Rempart de la Vierge 5          Tél: +32 81 72 47 60
5000 NAMUR                  Fax: +32 81 72 52 02
BELGIIUM                    severine.dusollier AT fundp.ac.be

http://www.crid.be

Hello list,

The people of Fosdem, the yearly Free & Open Source Software Meeting
held in Brussels, are considering playing CC licensed music in between
presentations.

Appearantly, they would need to pay Sabam even if the music they play is
strictly CC licensed. Is this correct? Or does it only matter for
artists who are a member of Sabam?

Thanks,
-- bruno
bruno AT indymedia.be