cc-be - Re: [Cc-be] CC music at Fosdem

cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons - Belgium

  • From: "Mark Van den Borre" <mark AT markvdb.be>
  • To: bruno AT indymedia.be, cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org, fit AT lists.fosdem.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-be] CC music at Fosdem
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:52:22 +0100

2007/11/19, Bruno De Bondt <bruno AT indymedia.be>:
> Hello list,
>
> The people of Fosdem, the yearly Free & Open Source Software Meeting
> held in Brussels, are considering playing CC licensed music in between
> presentations.
>
> Appearantly, they would need to pay Sabam even if the music they play is
> strictly CC licensed. Is this correct? Or does it only matter for
> artists who are a member of Sabam?
This is legally correct. But at least theoretically, there is a way
for the CC artists played to claim their share of the "billijke
vergoeding/rémunération équitable" contribution paid by FOSDEM
vzw/asbl. I have once looked up this mechanism "on the interwebs", and
found it. Unfortunately, I can't find the relevant information
anymore.

I will follow this up with the other FOSDEM people and see if there is
any interest in testing this "claim your share" principle.

Mark
--
Mark Van den Borre
Noormannenstraat 113