cc-be - Re: [Cc-be] Fwd: CC music at Fosdem

cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons - Belgium

  • From: Joeri Poesen <joeri AT symbiotix.net>
  • To: Michel Berghs <michel AT netlabelism.net>
  • Cc: cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-be] Fwd: CC music at Fosdem
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:40:12 +0100

let me clearly state I'm firmly on FOSDEM's side.

1. Actually, the Belgian CC license explicitly states that the license does not change anything to the "billijke vergoeding".

2. you get permission to distribute, but that saying that distributing equals playing (or performing) is a personal interpretation

3. contrast the Belgian CC license with the Spanish one: the Spanish one explictly allows public performance, while the Belgian one does not.

My question: can a "billijke vergoeding" be demanded on music published under a non-Belgian CC license? If the problem lies solely with the Belgian CC license, a solution would be to not use Belgian CC'd music, correct?

Thanks
J.

Michel Berghs wrote:
622918ba0711190335h477d9d5cq37749fd6e010c554 AT mail.gmail.com" type="cite">
If you only play music with the CC license, you don't have to pay
Sabam (see http://netlabelism.net/parties),  because you do it in "an
act of trust" (te goedertrouw). If there are artists with music under
CC license and they are member of a collectors society like Sabam,
they are incorrect, and Sabam should sue them. About "billijke
vergoeding": the CC license gives explicitly the permission to
distribute the music, i.e. play music, so I would refuse to pay this
kind of "blackmail".

If you're lookin for CC music, have a look at my site:
http://netlabelism.net/topbits/bystyle

Michel Berghs