baslinux - Re: [BL] dhcp & CD

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dhcp & CD
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 03:26:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 8 Dec 2014, Prof. Mladen Pavicic wrote:

On Sun, Dec 07, 2014 at 10:02:33PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
Determine the IP address of the router. Change the final digit to
something else. For instance if you have 192.168.0.1 router IP

It seems that the system nevertheless requires dhcp daemon. Or?

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.15

ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.175
works fine for my router and I can ping it (192.168.2.1
gives me 0.5 ms response time);
I can also ping other computers in the local net.

You said something which I interpreted as meaning your router was not running a dhcp server. If it is, just use udhcpc from busybox as the
dhcp client.

I don't recognize anything from your Debian setup.
This mail list is close to dead but maybe someone else will
be able to help you.

However, I cannot ssh computers in the local net and
cannot go out to the internet.
(e.g., ping 8.8.8.8 gives 100% packet loss;
ssh name AT 192.168.2.X just hangs)

In my other Debian machine in
/etc/network/interfaces
there are only two lines
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
and that works fine.

Any idea?

To install any file I would need to make my CD drive
read CD-R disks. It reads very old read-only CDs but
I cannot find out how they were formated.

Have you upgraded the memory to 32MB or 64MB?
(I probably have extra 15MB EDO DIMMs.)

I've got 40MB and that is apparently a max for
ThinkPad 365X. This is OK for BL.

I installed my first basiclinux to a 486 with about 12MB memory.

How do you plan to use this computer?

E-mails and textual browsing (lynx).

Good uses.

BL comes with a text-only old version of links.

I can view images with framebuffer fbjpeg or svgalib-based zgv (on old enough hardware), in lynx.

Best,

Harry.

Hi,

I've got BasicLinux 3.3 installed on IBM ThinkPad 365X
(Sclackware 7.1)

Before, I had a fixed IP and everything worked fine
(over a pcmcia network card).

Now, I came to a dhcp environment, but the system
does not have a dhcpd (dhpc deamon).

I thought this meant you have no dhcp server in your router.

There is a Basiclinux 3.5.

I tried to transfer a dhcpcd file (i386 from Slackware 10)
by means of a CD-R (365X does not have any USB port)
but the system cannot read it (there is no problem with
this CD-R on either Win 7 or Debian).

Can't read the CD or can't execute the file? The file will require newer libraries to execute.

Can you help me to come online?

Maybe the author of BL is still reading this list and can help.
I am not a linux or networking expert.