baslinux - Re: [BL] dhcp & CD

  • From: "Prof. Mladen Pavicic" <mpavicic AT humboldt-club.hr>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dhcp & CD
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 04:00:30 +0100

On Sun, Dec 07, 2014 at 10:02:33PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> Determine the IP address of the router. Change the final digit to
> something else. For instance if you have 192.168.0.1 router IP

It seems that the system nevertheless requires dhcp daemon. Or?

> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.15

ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.175
works fine for my router and I can ping it (192.168.2.1
gives me 0.5 ms response time);
I can also ping other computers in the local net.

However, I cannot ssh computers in the local net and
cannot go out to the internet.
(e.g., ping 8.8.8.8 gives 100% packet loss;
ssh name AT 192.168.2.X just hangs)

In my other Debian machine in
/etc/network/interfaces
there are only two lines
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
and that works fine.

Any idea?

To install any file I would need to make my CD drive
read CD-R disks. It reads very old read-only CDs but
I cannot find out how they were formated.

> Have you upgraded the memory to 32MB or 64MB?
> (I probably have extra 15MB EDO DIMMs.)

I've got 40MB and that is apparently a max for
ThinkPad 365X. This is OK for BL.

> How do you plan to use this computer?

E-mails and textual browsing (lynx).

Best,