baslinux - Re: [BL] ppp works! (was: Seeing start-up messages)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ppp works! (was: Seeing start-up messages)
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 23:30:52 +0000 (UTC)

I said:
I probably wouldn't recognize a pcmcia slot if one was looking me in the
face...
...but I'm always ready to learn :-).

OK. No I don't have them...

Only our newest 486 had them (DX4, 75MHz).

Go to BL site, links to old BL1 site, download zgv and libvgagl packages
and 'pkg' them. BL1 programs work with BL3.

I've found these programs but I think I somehow missed what they were
for...???
Would you mind clarifying that, please.

You will also need libvga which came with BL1. My last copy of BL1 left on the 486 - anyone else have that library handy? (You can get it from Slackware 4).

To view images without X. Install BL1 packages zgv and libvgagl and also libvga.so.* from Slackware or BL1. Unless you have a very strange video chip, it should display in VESA mode. zgv imagename.

... a floppy which says "PARAC.EXE" (mean anything to you?) on the label.

I don't know that program

I'm not surprised. It turns out to be a Dutch program! And although it tells
me the connection
is OK it refuses to actually copy anything. Grr... This is between native
MS-DOS on the PC
(i.e. not the Windows DOS box, that doesn't work at all) and MS-DOS on the
old laptop.

If you have DOS try interlnk/intersvr. One at each end.

I'll perhaps give this some though but I'll try plip first.
It often won't work on laptop parallel ports.
Can you get a copy of laplink pro for DOS?

If you have a landline phone, external modem plugged into serial port:
pppsetup, then ppp-on to dial

OK. This is the success story of the week (for me) !!! I did not know any of
the details I had to fill in in the pppsetup
but I patiently looked then all up (and guessed what I couldn't find).
Because of that last bit I didn't have high hopes
but on entering ppp-on the old modem began to rattle, whirr, and whistle the
old tunes I hadn't heard for so long and
almost before I knew it I was into the BL site via Links!!! Almost magic! ;-)
Thanks!!! :-) ).

Hooray! If you sign up at http://freeshell.org and send them $1, you can use other text browsers that require more memory (telnet there first). Also cjb.net but I can't get it to work again. You can also use your
laptop via serial transfer cable as a terminal for another computer at your end.

Nice to hear about your experiences. Is your name Dick, or maybe Dirk?

It's as I wrote it. Somewhat undervalued nowadays perhaps due to vulgar usage ;-) but I'll stick with it just like Messrs. Cheney, Van Dyke etc.. :-)

Dick is a nickname for Richard here. Is it a legal name there?

Ik sprek geen nederlands.

Enough I think, to understand the label which is still stuck to that old laptop of
mine... "geen garantie" !!!
How do you say 'got it' in Dutch?
I learned all my Dutch from a 12 year old when I was visiting her mother.

Dick.
Eindhoven,
The Netherlands.

Sindi Keesan