baslinux - Re: [BL] Seeing start-up messages

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Seeing start-up messages
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 22:14:46 +0100

Hi Sindi,

At 16:32 01/02/2010, you wrote:

>I used BL3 once on a 386 with 3MB memory. Is yours 486?

That's right.

>We just gave away a 486 with 24MB memory, on which I did get X working
>(not easy) by editing XF86Config modelines. It has pcmcia slots - does
>yours?

I don't think so. Trouble is I probably wouldn't recognize a pcmcia slot if
one was looking me in the face...
...but I'm always ready to learn :-). (Is it allowed to send graphical
attachments on this list?)

>If less than 12MB but more than 3MB, try svgalib video. libvga.so.1.* and
>seejpeg or zgv. (See archives, or the BL1 site).

This condition is true but what you say after that doesn't mean a lot to me,
so I'll file your message and check those archives

>File transfer via parallel transfer cable and plip (see archives and
>/root/netsetup). Sometimes plip won't work with a laptop parallel port
>but DOS transfer programs will (DOS utilities interlnk/intersvr, or
>llpro). Also with serial cable, which you can make from two serial mice
>using a soldering iron.

Funny thing is I thought of this when I realized I was stuck with the 1.44MB
chunk limit for data transfer because of the floppy,
because I had used this method way back. Your message made me start digging
in the scrapbox and I have actually unearthed the parallel cable together
with a floppy
which says "PARAC.EXE" (mean anything to you?) on the label. I didn't know I
still had it but I have a vague recollection that it did work. In any case it
will be worth a try!

>If you have a landline phone, external modem plugged into serial port.

I have, and what's more the old US-Robotics 28K8 modem is still plugged in to
my workaday PC and the phone line (though I haven't used the modem in years).
I shall look forward to trying that as I get to understand more about Linux.

>People are throwing out 'new' laptops (120MHz with 16MB or more memory
>circa 1996).

I shall have to keep my eyes open then ;-)

It's great to get all these answers to questions which I hadn't even directly
asked! Thanks very much :-).

Dick.
Eindhoven,
The Netherlands.