baslinux - Re: [BL] Seeing start-up messages

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Seeing start-up messages
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 22:20:16 +0000 (UTC)

We just gave away a 486 with 24MB memory, on which I did get X working
(not easy) by editing XF86Config modelines. It has pcmcia slots - does
yours?

I don't think so. Trouble is I probably wouldn't recognize a pcmcia slot if
one was looking me in the face...
...but I'm always ready to learn :-). (Is it allowed to send graphical
attachments on this list?)

Look on both sides of the laptop for slots (possibly with hinged or removable covers) which are about 5 cm long and very narrow. They usually
come in pairs but sometimes singly. You can also look up the model number online to see if there are pcmcia slots. You put PCMCIA cards (PC-card)
into them. The ones without the bumps work in older laptops.

If less than 12MB but more than 3MB, try svgalib video. libvga.so.1.* and
seejpeg or zgv. (See archives, or the BL1 site).

This condition is true but what you say after that doesn't mean a lot to me, so I'll file your message and check those archives

Go to BL site, links to old BL1 site, download zgv and libvgagl packages and 'pkg' them. BL1 programs work with BL3.

File transfer via parallel transfer cable and plip (see archives and
/root/netsetup). Sometimes plip won't work with a laptop parallel port
but DOS transfer programs will (DOS utilities interlnk/intersvr, or
llpro). Also with serial cable, which you can make from two serial mice
using a soldering iron.

Funny thing is I thought of this when I realized I was stuck with the 1.44MB chunk limit for data transfer because of the floppy, because I had used this method way back. Your message made me start digging in the scrapbox and I have actually unearthed the parallel cable together with a floppy which says "PARAC.EXE" (mean anything to you?) on the label. I didn't know I still had it but I have a vague recollection that it did work. In any case it will be worth a try!

I don't know that program. You can use the cable with plip if you follow instructions in /root/netsetup (ask for help or check archives), but not all laptops work with plip even if they work with DOS parport file transfer programs. Or DOS interlnk and intersvr (DOS boot disk in each of two computers). Both have to be FAT file system.

If you have a landline phone, external modem plugged into serial port.

I have, and what's more the old US-Robotics 28K8 modem is still plugged in to my workaday PC and the phone line (though I haven't used the modem in years). I shall look forward to trying that as I get to understand more about Linux.

pppsetup, then ppp-on to dial

It's great to get all these answers to questions which I hadn't even directly
asked! Thanks very much :-).

Nice to hear about your experiences. Is your name Dick, or maybe Dirk?
Ik sprek geen nederlands.

Sindi

Dick.
Eindhoven,