baslinux - Re: [BL] ppp works! (was: Seeing start-up messages)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ppp works! (was: Seeing start-up messages)
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 18:15:28 +0100

Hi all and in particular Sindi,

At 23:20 01/02/2010, you wrote:
>Look on both sides of the laptop for slots (possibly with hinged or
>removable covers) which are about 5 cm long and very narrow. They usually
>come in pairs but sometimes singly. You can also look up the model number
>online to see if there are pcmcia slots. You put PCMCIA cards (PC-card)
>into them. The ones without the bumps work in older laptops.

OK. No I don't have them...

>Go to BL site, links to old BL1 site, download zgv and libvgagl packages
>and 'pkg' them. BL1 programs work with BL3.

I've found these programs but I think I somehow missed what they were
for...???
Would you mind clarifying that, please.

>> ... a floppy which says "PARAC.EXE" (mean anything to you?) on the label.
>
>I don't know that program

I'm not surprised. It turns out to be a Dutch program! And although it tells
me the connection
is OK it refuses to actually copy anything. Grr... This is between native
MS-DOS on the PC
(i.e. not the Windows DOS box, that doesn't work at all) and MS-DOS on the
old laptop.

I'll perhaps give this some though but I'll try plip first.

>>> If you have a landline phone, external modem plugged into serial port:
> pppsetup, then ppp-on to dial

OK. This is the success story of the week (for me) !!! I did not know any of
the details I had to fill in in the pppsetup
but I patiently looked then all up (and guessed what I couldn't find).
Because of that last bit I didn't have high hopes
but on entering ppp-on the old modem began to rattle, whirr, and whistle the
old tunes I hadn't heard for so long and
almost before I knew it I was into the BL site via Links!!! Almost magic! ;-)
Thanks!!! :-) ).

>Nice to hear about your experiences. Is your name Dick, or maybe Dirk?

It's as I wrote it. Somewhat undervalued nowadays perhaps due to vulgar usage
;-) but I'll stick with it just like Messrs. Cheney, Van Dyke etc.. :-)

>Ik sprek geen nederlands.

Enough I think, to understand the label which is still stuck to that old
laptop of mine... "geen garantie" !!!

Dick.
Eindhoven,
The Netherlands.