baslinux - Re: [BL] 2.2.27 kernel for BL

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 2.2.27 kernel for BL
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 15:01:53 +0000 (UTC)

Can someone explain how to change the kernel in FD BL3.50, or add nomce when booting with lilo?

Can you use standard BL3.50 modules with 2.2.27 kernel?
insmod -f module.o ???

I want to make two PI kernels:

1) A small one for 2-floppy BL3:

without SYSCTL - this makes a /proc/sys - what do we need it for?
without SYSVIPC - used by dosemu
with VFAT built-in

Adds 10K if you already have FAT.

Are the first two really needed?
(I don't think omitting them saves much space).

xfbdev and the vesafb kernel add about 100K each so something might need
to go on a third floppy disk for a floppy version, which I will not
attempt right now. I could leave out VGA console support and use
framebuffer instead, but that uses 60K more memory while saving 30K disk
space. Omitting loop would save some space, also games and man pages.
I use loop a lot but without losetup. Seems to work.

I unzipped and mounted -o loop the two floppy disk BL3.50 files.

disk1 - I cannot find the kernel in disk1.gz so as to replace it, and I don't know how to set up lilo on this disk to boot nomce. I need to do one or the other to make BL3 floppy work with nomce machines such as Compaq Armada. Replacing the kernel with 2.2.27 could add framebuffer support for better/more text and xfbdev X. PLEASE HELP.

100K can be freed for a larger framebuffer kernel by deleting:
76K pmail
30K readmail
(Not needed if you use webmail or a shell account for mail)
12K e3vi (use e3pi instead)

disk2 -

delete mgp to free up 180K

xfbdev is 100K larger than Xvesa

I could make a laptop-specific disk2 by deleting ne2k-pci and ne (18K), and adding more pcmcia modules such as 3c589_cs.o and the airo modules (68K) - 50K additional, and use the disks in newer laptops by bringing my own cards.

Compaq Armadas have lucent modems built-in but that would add over 400K.