baslinux - [BL] scsi linux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] scsi linux
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 04:26:04 +0000 (UTC)

I have successfully copied over BL3 and BL2 to a scsi drive, and can chroot to them having booted with David's USB-scsi kernel.

du of / took about half as long from the scsi drive.

The book said the main advantages were if you wanted to access two drives at once, both scsi, and I was running du from an IDE drive (loop BL3) different from the two drives I was testing with du.

We can't figure out how to use two scsi drives with linux. An attempt to do so resulted in:
fdisk /dev/sdb - made two partitions sdb1 and sdb2
mke2fs /dev/sdb2 - no such file or directory

Copy from /hdb1 to /sda1 - pages and pages of error messages about aix7xxx_abort and input/output errors and 'someone removed channel A' or the like. Linux is not happy with this setup, obviously.

Remove sda, put the terminator on former sdb, and I can format both partitions and copy linux to them.

We have four 2GB drives probably removed from big external cases and used internally, plugged into the cable via an adaptor that includes the power and ID jumpers and a choice of scsi cable connectors, and three resistors without which nothing works (drives are not even found by the Adaptec utility). There is a place on the drive itself for a terminator (a row of labelled jumpers).

Putting jumper terminator on one drive and not the other produces the above situation. We tried putting the terminated drive both first and last on the cable, and tried 0 1 or 1 0.

Plugging the scsi cable in backwards does not help ;=) We tried that first.

The computer refuses to boot from a DOS scsi drive (so do two others) but two of three computers at least recognize it as C:. We set CMOS to boot from SCSI and unplugged IDE drives. The info that came with the SCSI card said you need to boot from ID 6 - we even tried that. The utility lets you boot from your choice of IDs.

I have the drives set to ID 0 and 1 and the utility finds them that way.

I will run linux from the one scsi drive and use the ide drive to copy .raw files to for burning CDs, and for storing seldom-used files, but I had hoped to have the second scsi drive for SW10.2.

The scsi and ide drives both cause a lot of radio interference when you are fixing a boombox on the same table. Motor effect?

  • [BL] scsi linux, sindi keesan, 03/02/2006