baslinux - Re: [BL] very local network

  • From: "Sean Sedwards" <sean AT sedsoft.co.uk>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] very local network
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 08:44:01 -0000

> Which browser? I think links needs an explicit http://

On BL I use links and have tried just about all the permutations of
http://<address>:<port number>. The server can have a specific IP address
or accept any requests using INADDR_ANY (actually 0.0.0.0). I've tried it
both ways.

> Perhaps the problem lies with your server? Or perhaps a
> permission problem?

There's obviously something wrong with my setup if you managed to do it,
however my server seems to work exactly as expected on other systems and
with my own client. The error on BL is 'connection refused', rather than
'network unreachable' or the like. Unfortunately, that doesn't tell you
much because it's the same error you get if you use the wrong port number or
if the server isn't running at all.

> What client is that?

I wrote a simple client that emulates a browser, in order to test the
server. It creates a socket with the correct port number and address,
connects and sends. A child process waits for replies.

I'd be interested to know the settings you used, Steven, when you got your
server to work. Perhaps you could suggest something else I could do, using
standard BL commands, to test my setup.

Regards - Sean

Regards - Sean