baslinux - [BL] very local network

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] very local network
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:22:08 +1300

sean AT rose-industries.co.uk wrote:

> I've written a web server which can work with a web
> browser on the same (networked) computer,

I'm not sure what "(networked)" has to do with it.
If you are running the browser and the server on the
same machine, then an outside network is not needed.

> but is it possible to configure BL so that it works with
> a browser on a non-networked machine?

What do you mean by non-networked? Networking capability
is something inside the kernel. You can build a kernel
without that capability, but why?

> I'm told it's possible by 'installing networking', but
> I've not been able to get it to work.

Get what to work? You need to be more specific about what
you have tried and what the result was.

If you want to run a web server and browse it from the same
machine, you normally point the browser at http://localhost.
Is that what you are doing? Of course, you have to ifconfig
localhost first (but this is not an issue in BasicLinux --
it automatically configures localhost for you).