baslinux - Re: [BL] very local network

  • From: "Sean Sedwards" <sean AT sedsoft.co.uk>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] very local network
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:05:11 -0000

The server works with a browser on a networked computer that has its own IP
address, so localhost is not just the default 127.0.0.1. I can enter the
word 'localhost' or the full IP and it's resolved back to my server on the
same machine (presumably by the network hub and not the machine itself).

When I enter 'localhost', '127.0.0.1' or '0.0.0.0' in a browser on BL (or
Knoppix) on an isolated machine, I get a 'connection refused' error.

I should point out that the server will work on the isolated machine if I
use my own client rather than a browser. Maybe the difference between my
client and a browser is that it doesn't ask the OS whether a connection is
possible, it just opens a socket and goes for it.

Regards - Sean