baslinux - Re: [BL] adobe pdf

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] adobe pdf
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 06:42:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> > > Out of curiosity, where are people finding the space to network 4
> > > computers with monitors?
> > >
> > I'm not sure I understand this question. Could you ask it another way?
>
> There are all these discussions about how to use a pentium and three 486s
> to get extra power with Linux. Where do people put four computers with
> monitors and keyboards? I have room on my desk for two and the Linux
> computer is on the dresser.

Ok. I see. Well, we live in a 2 bdr apt. There must be, of course, a
computer in the living room (to perpetuate my delusion that my wife can
actually get some use out of these machines, too) - the "family" computer.
This computer also doubles as a terminal server, so a second computer can
be connected in case this one's already in use (it does actually happen -
maybe once every couple of months). That leaves the spare
bedroom/guestroom as a place where a second computer can be put. It's
actually become my computer "larder." I have 2 machines set up there on a
desk, and clustered around it, my parts collection. There's also a spare
table in that room that's supposed to be for sewing, but which is usually
at least partly occupied by a computer in some state of dissassembly,
along with monitor, keyboard and mouse used in testing. Since I recently
resurrected an old laptop, it can be kept almost anywhere, but is usually
on the floor in the living room. Other machines that are not actively on
the LAN or that may not be working at the moment are either on the floor
somehere or stacked on some shelves. I do drag them out from time to time
and may hook them to the LAN for one or another reason. That's how I
manage the computer collection/LAN that I have.

James