baslinux - Re: [BL] openMosix on BL2

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] openMosix on BL2
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:25:38 +1200

Ken Martwick wrote:

> I would at least be interested in detailed instructions. Using
> openMosix seems easier than setting up a Beowulf cluster from
> scratch, but there are still a lot of confusing options!

Hopefully, you won't be too confused (I've left out most
of the options :-) Everything you need is at:
http://basiclinux.com.ru/download/openMosix
The only difficult part is getting the correct module(s) for
your network card. And it is important to check the modules.dep
file to make sure your module does not require a helper module.
Some modules (like eepro100) which have no dependencies in BL2,
need a helper module for openMosix.

Here are the full instructions:
Replace the BL2 kernel with the openMosix kernel
Download the bzImage for openMosix (1445694 bytes).
Put it in the directory with BOOT.BAT and LOADLIN.EXE.
Edit BOOT.BAT and do two things:
(1) change zimage to bzimage
(2) add this parameter: devfs=nomount

Get the openMosix module for your network card
It should be in: lib/modules/2.4.20-openmosix-cvs-2/kernel/drivers/net
Check for dependencies in: lib/modules/2.4.20-openmosix-cvs-2/modules.dep
Copy the module(s) to floppy disk or a DOS partition on target system.

Get the configuration package for openMosix
Download mosixpkg.tgz
Copy it to floppy disk or a DOS partition on target system.

---------------
Boot BasicLinux
---------------
Execute BOOT.BAT (which runs the openMosix kernel).
Login as root.
Mount the floppy disk or DOS partition where you copied the files.
If BasicLinux is running on HD, use installpkg to install mosixpkg.tgz.
-or- If BasicLinux is running in ramdisk, do the following:
(1) copy mosixpkg.tgz to / (the top directory)
(2) cd /
(3) tar -zxvf mosixpkg.tgz

Start openMosix
insmod the module(s) for your network card (ifconfig is *not* needed)
Execute mos-start