baslinux - Re: [BL] adobe pdf

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] adobe pdf
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 03:41:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 jamtat AT mailsnare.net wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:
>
> > Someone said there is an adobe pdf reader for linux, is this correct?
>
> Yes, that's correct. I've got it on a couple of my machines. You'll
> maybe want to get an older version (e.g., maybe 4.0 or 4.5): the newest -
> 5.something - is a monstrosity! Something like a 9MB download (earlier
> ones are more like 5MB). And 5.x runs correspondingly slowly on older
> hardware (I only fire it up on my P90 64MB RAM when I absolutely have
> to, e.g., when pdftotext just won't do).

I use ghostscript when people send me scanned images that they made into
pdf files. (I keep asking for gifs instead but they have these automatic
programs that make faxes into pdf files). I print the images. I think I
have ghostscript working for Linux. The DOS version works on Tseng but
with Trident it turns things sideways (and prints sideways across a
lengthwise page leaving out half the image).

> > Out of curiosity, where are people finding the space to network 4
> > computers with monitors?
> >
> I'm not sure I understand this question. Could you ask it another way?

There are all these discussions about how to use a pentium and three 486s
to get extra power with Linux. Where do people put four computers with
monitors and keyboards? I have room on my desk for two and the Linux
computer is on the dresser.