b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Why does my NIVIHEOT translate YHWH as "Yahweh" 6823 times?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davedonnelly1 <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Why does my NIVIHEOT translate YHWH as "Yahweh" 6823 times?
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 16:03:20 -0500

On Tue Jan 26 09:14:06 EST 2010, I had written:

I own "The Interlinear NIV Hebrew-English Old Testament"
[ e.g. NIVIHEOT ] in a 4 volume set.
The NIVIHEOT uses a BHS text, which like Codex L., has 6 different
variants of YHWH.
Each one of these 6 variants of YHWH, where ever they occur, are
translated as "Yahweh"!
By what authority does the NIVIHEOT translate YHWH as "Yahweh"?

Dave Donnelly
_____

Since I first wrote the above text, I have done a little searching in the
Introduction of my NIVIHEOT.
On pages xx and xxi of the Introduction of the NIVIHEOT, under the
heading “Word Choice”, the editor [ or maybe the editors ] wrote:
snip/snip
“The vocabulary of the interlinear text, then, is taken from the NIV in
most cases.”
snip/snip
The editor [ or maybe the editors ] then explained why they used “Yahweh”
in place of LORD in the interlinear text of the NIVIHEOT.
“A fourth type of exception involves the name of God. The proper name of
God ( YHWH ) is translated ‘LORD’ in the NIV and most other English
versions. The NIVIHEOT consistently renders this name as ‘Yahweh’. This
is the spelling and pronunciation generally acknowledged by Bible
scholars. Further, according to Scripture, this is God’s special name,
and has no direct connection with the idea of lordship. Thus the use of
the name Yahweh is a major--and, I think, meaningful--exception to the
NIV.”
FWIW
Dave Donnelly
Diet Help