b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proposed transliteration scheme for computer

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proposed transliteration scheme for computer
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 22:20:11 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)

I thought the use of 'h' to mark lenited sounds was given up because it is
unnecessary? Lenition is regular, and as long as you double the letters
where Hebrew uses a dot, it is as easy as reading Hebrew. I am confused by
the use of 'aspirated' in this context, as I thought the difference was one
of stop Vs fricative in both Hebrew and Arabic, not aspiration Vs
non-aspiration. Especially as it seems likely that it was the non-lenited
stops that were aspirated. Anyway, I would agree that using 'th' for tet is
inappropriate. I was taught to pronounce it as in Arabic, and the only
Hebrew I hear these days is from my supervisor, whose family is from Iraq,
so I was surprised that most Hebrew speakers do not do the same. Does that
mean that qof and kaf are also not distinguished?

Kevin Riley