b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proposed transliteration scheme for computer

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jason Hare <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proposed transliteration scheme for computer
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 11:53:32 +0200

So, you've got
tet = th
thaw (that is, tav without dagesh) = th

How can ת be represented in its soft form the same as ט? I just don't
get the fact that two different people have suggested this, as if
there were a SOFT nature to tet, which is actually an emphatic
consonant, corresponding to the Arabic ط rather than the aspirated ث
(corresponding to ת) or the non-aspirated ت (corresponding to תּ). How
can emphatic ט be represented in transcription as aspirated th?

Additionally, all of these suggestions for using h in the soft
consonant forms would really just lend to the confusion of actual heh
ה within words. How do we present הבהיר in these consonants? "hbhhyr"
- What a mess! It's so much clearer to see HBHYR as
heh-bet-heh-yod-resh.

Again, I'm all for keeping the "standard" as it is. It's just clearer.

Jason Hare