b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Language, migration and Jewish identity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Language, migration and Jewish identity
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 15:55:53 -0700

Jason:

The answer to that is: when was the Pentateuch written and who wrote it?

For those who take the modernist approach, that Torah was written
mostly post-Exile by a group of people with an editor putting it all
together, then there is no evidence either way, and it could be that
Israel adopted Hebrew after the Exodus.

If, on the other hand, those of us in the traditionalist camp are
right, that Moses wrote it about the 15th century BC, then we have to
deal with the conservatism that writing imposes on language. Then the
picture is that Hebrew was the language that Israel had before the
Exodus and for unknown time before it.

I hope this helps.

Karl W. Randolph,