b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Language, migration and Jewish identity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "jason silber" <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Language, migration and Jewish identity
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 13:42:49 -0400

Hebrew is referred to by Isaiah as 'sfat Cnaan' or the tongue of Canaan.
Israelites emerged from some mix of canaanite and Egyptian with a potential
dollop of philistine (tribe of Dan)
All the peoples in and around the Land of Israel either spoke version of
hebrew (canaanite, moabite, edomite, ammonite, phoenician) or the more
distant aramaic.