b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tithe

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Herman Meester" <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tithe
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 02:08:01 +0100

If secular, i.e. non-clergy/priestly governments collect taxes and
call it "tithe" if it happens to be 10%, then I don't think there is a
link with Christianity or Judaism. Judaism's tithing is purely ritual
and confined to the home; nothing to do with "taxes".
I think in Judaism, things other than vegetables, herbs, fruits etc.
aren't tithed. But I have to say I'm not a halachic expert at all.
This would be a good opportunity for me to take a look at the Mishna
tractates Ma`asrot and Ma`aser Sheni. I can't find the Zera`im part of
my Mishna at the moment, but if you'd like we could go into that
later.

Could you be more precise on what you mean by "the one [tithe] used in
Christianity"?

By the way, I think we have to distinguish between the religion of the
Israelites in the time of the temple cult on the one hand, and Judaism
on the other hand.
And I think the word Ma`aser, in itself, although it may *refer* to
religious/cultic practice, has no special religious *meaning*; it's
just "a tenth". Cf. mishne משנה "a second [time], doubling,
repetition".

regards,
herman