b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] shwa, shtayim and sharp taw

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <ken.penner AT acadiau.ca>
  • To: "Herman Meester" <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] shwa, shtayim and sharp taw
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 21:30:02 -0400

Lambdin section 10 says, "The Shewa sign under the first consonant of a word
always represents ə ... [The various forms of the number two (fem.) are the
only exceptions]."
The Shewa in שתים $TYM is silent; the word begins with two consonants:
Shtayim.
Contrast the Shewa in $NYM, which is vocal: Shənayim.

Ken Penner
Post-biblical Hebrew/Acadia
Hebrew vocabulary memorization software: http://s91279732.onlinehome.us/flash