b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tithe

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tithe
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:24:37 +0000

On 10/03/2006 01:37, Kevin Riley wrote:
In Leviticus "tithe" refers to 1/10 of agricultural produce given to the
Levites and Priests. Many different Christian groups through the centuries
have had a similar system where 1/10 of income [including agricultural
products and money] are given to the church. I realised I had been assuming
Malachi had the latter idea in mind [all income] and started wondering if I
had that wrong, and if so whether Judaism had ever expanded the things to be
"tithed" in the same way as it had the counties in which tithing was
obligatory. After Leviticus, no mention seems to be made of what is to be
tithed, just that it is required.

I suspect that the Christian understanding of tithes as relating to more than agricultural produce is relatively recent, i.e. perhaps 19th century CE. The historic practice in England was for tithes of agricultural produce to be collected into "tithe barns" and then I think sold to support the church. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithe has something on this under "Governmental collection of religious offerings", I am not sure how accurate or complete. This is something different from the church taxes in some European countries.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)