b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tithe

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tithe
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 12:37:51 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)

In Leviticus "tithe" refers to 1/10 of agricultural produce given to the
Levites and Priests. Many different Christian groups through the centuries
have had a similar system where 1/10 of income [including agricultural
products and money] are given to the church. I realised I had been assuming
Malachi had the latter idea in mind [all income] and started wondering if I
had that wrong, and if so whether Judaism had ever expanded the things to be
"tithed" in the same way as it had the counties in which tithing was
obligatory. After Leviticus, no mention seems to be made of what is to be
tithed, just that it is required.

Kevin Riley