b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tithe

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tithe
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:36:45 -0500

Kevin:

Torah reflects an agricultural society where all
goods revolved around food stuffs, including pay
for work. Very little was valued in units of pay
other than agricultural products. Barter was the
main form of exchange. Even international trade
was carried out on the barter system using food
as the measure of value, c.f. Solomon's pay to
Hiram for building products.

The widespread use of coinage postdates Tanakh.
I expect that the Christian practice comes from
Jewish practice as it developed after Tanakh but
before the New Testament.

Karl W. Randolph.