b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:02:55 -0800

On 2/28/05 2:55 PM, "Uri Hurwitz" <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> But when the scribe composed this beautiful verse ... women simply were not
> in
his mind ...

I think this would also be a fair analysis of )y$ in Job 42:11 which is why
R. Gordis (Book of Job.1978) renders it "each man."

Peter is right. It is hard to know who could give gifts since our knowledge
of the cultural situation is minimal. There is, however, a ever present
danger of reading our contemporary egalitarian social structure back into
the ancient text.

I am going to steer clear of the culture war thing since it is highly
volatile and there is no justification for doing it on this list anyway.
Furthermore, Peter has been very helpful and I value his contribution to
this list.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew