b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>, "Uri Hurwitz" <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:08:39 -0600

This appears to be an interesting question.

A liberal analysis argued that ish or 'iysh is used to mean both man and
woman, as in laws forbidding murder and that sort of thing.

That is what it would mean now - but, for instance, the Deuteronomic law
code treated women as chattal capable only of being stolen or used without
permission. Not people with minds and will to do wrong. DID laws that
used the term 'iysh' include both men and women by that term?

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com