b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:43:24 -0600

In Leviticus 18 and 20, it says that an 'iysh shall not sleep with a zakar.

Biggs, Meyers et al translate zakar to mean "male".

When I printed out all of the verses that use the term zakar, it means
"male" person or animal.

I have not analysed it further. But I found it argued that in every case
where 'iysh is paired with zakar, zakar refers to someone who is not yet an
adult?

It is also questioned why the verses would specify the gender of teh person
who is slept with as with a woman, and not the person who initiates it.
'iysh can mean man, or "man or woman". Why specify the gender of the
second person as male but call the first person 'iysh?

What do people here understand these words to mean, and their usage?

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com