b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: peterkirk AT qaya.org
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:13:38 -0500

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:45:26 +0000 Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
writes:
> On 28/02/2005 18:17, George F Somsel wrote:

> >Uri,
> >
> >Ignore what Peter and Karl have said. The Brits have forgotten how
> >speak English ...
> >

> George, I demand a public apology for this offensive comment. I
> specifically spoke only for British English. What gives you the
> right to
> say what is good British English and what is not? Languages change,
> and
> British and American English have both changed considerably since
> they
> started to diverge. I could point to many ways in which Americans
> have
> forgotten how to speak English. But I am happy to let you speak as
> you
> do if you let us speak as we do.
>
> >... There is a
> >politically correct movement in which "he or she" is constantly
> used, but
> >the generic usage is still valid.
> >

> What do you mean by "valid"? Still used by some, yes, but offensive
> at least 50% of the population. Would you claim that certain words
> e.g.
> for African-Americans once in common use but now widely rejected as
>
> racist slurs are "still valid", just because some people do still
> use
> them, and that you have the right to teach others that they ought to
> use
> such terms? The kind of sexist language you are advocating falls in
> the
> same category, or at least is viewed as such by many, in all parts
> of
> the English speaking world except for the Deep South.
>
> --
> Peter Kirk
> peter AT qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk AT qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/
_____________________

In one sense Peter is correct. I am not British and he is. I did not
pretend to say what is or is not good British English, but I will correct
that by saying that from listening to Brits speak I discern that Peter
incorrectly characterizes British English. I find from listening to
ex-pat Brits and to the BBC that the British are not so unaware and
unaccustomed to using the generic as he would pretend.

I would also turn the tables on him by reminding him that, unless he is
sailing under a false flag, he has no qualifications to speak for "at
least 50% of the population" by which he presumably intends the female
portion of the population. If any women happen to be offended by the
usage of generic terms, I would be interested to hear. Otherwise, I must
conclude that Peter is a member of the PCLP [Politically Correct Language
Police].

george
gfsomsel