b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What was it with the dogs? Cult objects or maleprostitutes?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What was it with the dogs? Cult objects or maleprostitutes?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:17:01 -0600

Thanks- I actually found a reference to that last night.

On the other hand, two other people, noticing conveniently temporarily that
Hebrew verses commonly pair concepts as a poetic device, argues taht since
the first part of Deuteronomy 23:7-18 (just one verse, not sure which one)
refers to the price of a female harlot, the word dog in the second part
refers to a male harlot. This is the justification, I guess, by one
theory of what he is talking about, for Robert Gagnon arguing that the
passage in Revelation about outer darkness with dogs and whores and whatnot
refers to homosexuals.

I'm inclined to think that literal dogs have some cultic significance, and
the page I was reading last night mentioned Inanna/ Asherah and a cult of
healing symbolized by dogs.

But I wonder if this is the whole story.

I vaguely remember that dogs as well as donkeys could be sacrificed and cut
in half and buried in a temple to ratify a covenant - but I'm having trouble
confirming it.

Did dogs have other cultic significance?

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com