b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: 22nd Psalm & 40th Psalm

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jason Hare <jason AT hareplay.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: 22nd Psalm & 40th Psalm
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 04:34:08 -0800

On 30/11/2003 18:22, Jason Hare wrote:

Any non-Christian discussions of these passages? I should like to see
something other than this type of eisegesis ("Let's interpret the text based
on the NT!").

Thanks,
Jason

Jason, you are not being fair to these authors here. Yes, it is clear that they are Christians and so have some preference for a particular interpretation. But the arguments they actually use are from the texts, MSS, translations etc, and not from the NT. Tim Hegg makes no reference to the NT until he has completed his argument. Lyle Lange's discussion of this textual problem makes no reference to the NT, or to Christian commentators except for Jerome, although it quotes several Jewish sources.

But I agree that it would be good to see discussions from Jewish or (if there are any) neutral sources.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)