b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: 22nd Psalm & 40th Psalm

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: 22nd Psalm & 40th Psalm
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 00:17:30 +0200

As long as you ask, I found two differnt interpretations among "classical"
Jewish commentators, all of course based on the MT k)ry "like a lion": most
understand "like a lion [they bite] my hand and feet". Rashi even adds a
reference to Isaiah 38:13. On the other hand, Abraham Ibn-Ezra understands
the k)ryto be a part of the previous phrase: "a company of evildoers
encircles me LIKE A LION; my hands and feet [are bound so I can neither
fight nor escape]".

My wife Sharon, by the way suggested that we look into "kartu" instead of
"karu", from KRT, "to cut off" - "they cut off my hands and feet". Any
reactions?

By the way, where does the NRSV "my hands and feet have shiveled" come from?

Yigal