b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: 22nd Psalm & 40th Psalm

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Deborah Millier <deborahmillier AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: 22nd Psalm & 40th Psalm
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 03:07:20 -0800

On 02/12/2003 17:32, Deborah Millier wrote:

Some of the Midrashim got creative with the MT, but
nothing that is exegetically compelling:

”My hands and my feet they made repulsive [from Heb.
K’AR—ugly, repulsive]” . According to R. Judah, Esther
[the supposed author of Psa 22] said: "Though Haman's
sons practiced sorcery on me so that in the sight of
Ahaseurus my hands and feet were repulsive, yet a
miracle was wrought for me, and my hands and my feet
were made to shine like sapphires.

This one looks interesting. Is there really a Hebrew K'AR "ugly, repulsive"? It doesn't seem to be attested elsewhere in the Bible, but if it is later Hebrew it may well have been in occasional (perhaps dialectal or informal) use earlier. But the meaning is more likely to be "my hands and my feet were repulsive", with the adjective interchanging with a stative verb.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)