b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] syntax question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] syntax question
  • Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 14:31:20 -0500

Dear Liz:

There is no direct equivelant in B-Hebrew for what you say. The closest I can
think of “I wished in him to take her to woman, and she was not willing.”
XPCTY BW LQXTH L)Y$H WHY) L) )BTH
chapatsti bo leqachetah l’ishah wahi’ lo’ ’abatah

“to take her” is an infinitive form with a feminine suffix indicating the
object of the verb.
The object of XPC when a noun or pronoun is preceded by a B prefix, or if it
is a verb, it is infinitive. Where there are both, the noun or pronoun
precedes the infinitive verb. For emphasis, the noun or pronoun object of XPC
can precede XPC, but still should have the B prefix.

Varients would include adding a “to him” LW after “to take her”, though it is
not necessary, and / or one could delete the expressed “she” from the second
clause, just leaving the feminine form of “not be willing”. The “she” in the
second clause is mainly for emphasis, that it was the woman who turned it
down.

Hope this helps.

Karl W. Randolph.