b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] syntax question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Richard Burks <rburks9400 AT comcast.net>
  • To: Liz Fried <lizfried AT umich.edu>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] syntax question
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 08:48:25 -0500

Lisbeth,

I did not find any examples of exactly the type of sentences you propose in
your question, and I am certain there are others who will weigh in on this
but I shall point to two passages that when pasted together would make the
type of statement you are looking for. In Hosea 6:6 "For I desire mercy
..." [JPS] and 2 Chronicles 28:1 "but he did not ..." [KJV] "and he did
not" [JPS]. The clauses in your sentence could be independent clauses and
are connected together only by the conjunction. I don't see why you can't
create independent clauses in BH much in the same way and glue them together
with the waw conjunction.

But maybe I am missing something

Bill Burks