b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] syntax question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] syntax question
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 12:48:39 -0400

Dear Peter,
This is interesting. I'm reading now GKC 115e-g, and there there are
sentences which have a subject of an infinitive in the nominative,
but they have to be translated with a relative clause in English -- just the
opposite of what I'm talking about, and very surprising to me.
So JOb 34:22 lehisater $am poaley aven (that the workers of iniquity
may hide themselves). Oh, but you could equally translate it, "for the
workers
of iniquity to hide." But this is not the same, because this clause is not
the object of another verb.

> Surely the construction you are looking for is something like XPC +
> infinitive construct + personal suffix. But I can only find one possible
> example in the HB, Job 33:32. In such a case the personal suffix is
> regularly subjective, see GKC 115c, so NIV's "I want you to be cleared"
> is more likely than "I want to justify you".
I dunno, I think it's a noun, no? I want your justification, or your
aquittal.

Liz