b-hebrew - Re[5]: YHWH vs. Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[5]: YHWH vs. Yahweh
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 12:11:34 -0400

Rolf wrote:

"I do not suggest a particular Hebrew pronunciation behind IAOUE, but
in the light of the different ways patah and shewa were rendered in
Greek, the antecedent of IAOUE could even be YEHOWA. I mention this,
not to argue for a particular pronunciation, but to show the great
difficulties for a reconstruction of the pronunciation of the divine
name also in Greek."

This argument would only be valid if you assume YEHOWA with a final
patah. But patah is never word final, and so YEHOWA would have to end
with a qamets. Rolf did not give data for qamets, but I would be
surprised to see qamets rendered by E.

If the original pronunciation was YEHOWA, would one not expect to see
sometimes a consonantal text with a mater YHWWH?

Peter Kirk