xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Xstream/Stax integration

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Dan Diephouse <dan AT envoisolutions.com>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Xstream/Stax integration
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:29:52 -0400

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:

Also, what's your experience wrt. underlying Stax impls? e.g. Sun, BEA, ...

Don't use the BEAs (== the RI) as its slow, has weird bugs, and things like creating an XMLStreamReader/Writer from a Source aren't implemented. Haven't used Sun's. I *highly* recommend Woodstox (http://woodstox.codehaus.org) as its fast (about 33% faster then the RI from my non scientific tests), it works, and its very well supported.

I have a pretty detailed performance testbench here. When your codebase has stabilized and is deemed reliable, I'll be happy to run it through, comparing it with a variety of other XOM or non-XOM models. No need to rush tough :-)

The code is very simple. If you get a START_ELEMENT you create an Element, etc. I don't know that there is a whole lot of room to mess up. I've used the code in the past, but am not using it right now only because my project is included in an Apache project and they aren't down with the LGPL. Even if there were bugs in it, they'd be minor.

All that to say, I think the code is pretty stable/reliable, I'm just not using it at the moment. I'd be very interested in performance of Stax vs. SAX in XOM and how the different stax implementations compare if you'd be willing to run it through.

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions LLC