xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Xstream/Stax integration

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Dan Diephouse <dan AT envoisolutions.com>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Xstream/Stax integration
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:15:02 -0400

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:

Interesting. I encourage you to take this further. For example, have you plugged this into some kind of test driver? For example, take a few thousand weird documents from all sorts of publicly downloadable testsuites, run them through both your Stax Builder and the normal XOM Builder, produce canonical XML from them, and compare results for equality. See what happens...

Yes, I have tests in my local machine which runs them against a bunch of different documents. I don't compare it against the canonical xml though. If someone wants to take this further right now, that would be great and I'd definitely want to work with them, but I'm not even using this code at the moment.

Also, what's your experience wrt. underlying Stax impls? e.g. Sun, BEA, ...

Don't use the BEAs (== the RI) as its slow, has weird bugs, and things like creating an XMLStreamReader/Writer from a Source aren't implemented. Haven't used Sun's. I *highly* recommend Woodstox (http://woodstox.codehaus.org) as its fast (about 33% faster then the RI from my non scientific tests), it works, and its very well supported.

Wolfgang.