xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1 proposal: xml:id

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1 proposal: xml:id
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:58:50 -0500

Elliotte Harold scripsit:

> I just looked this up, and it's a little trickier than that. It is
> possible for an ID-type attribute to have uncollapsed, internal
> whitespace if that whitespace consists of tabs, carriage returns, and
> line feeds inserted by numeric character references. This would be an
> xml:id error because the resulting value would not be an NCName, but it
> might not be a well-formedness error.

If you put support in Attribute, and if you hard-fail on errors, you don't
actually have to worry about anything but leading and trailing space;
granted, xml:id='&#x20;foo' should fail, but so what if it is treated as
xml:id='foo'?

--
"Kill Gorgûn! Kill orc-folk! John Cowan
No other words please Wild Men. jcowan AT reutershealth.com