xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1: XPath

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1: XPath
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:04:19 -0500

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:

Nux already has XPath 2.0 support for XOM, by virtue of supporting XQuery.
Also, saxon-8.2 implements the JAXP-1.3 XPath 1.0 API for XOM.
Saxon (and by its virtue, Nux) actually is standards compliant, mature and stable, whereas most other engines are not. I've stopped using Jaxen as an XPath engine a year or so ago - I found it too buggy and slow.

Implementations remain to be decided. Saxon is a possibility, though I really don't want to support XPath 2.0, at least not yet. I think XPath 1.0 is immensely preferable, not to mention more stable.

Jaxen is also a possibility.

And there's even a remote chance I might write a XOM-native XPath engine.

I don't think Xalan's adaptable to other object models than its own. Anything else out there worth considering?