xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1: XPath

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1: XPath
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:17:30 -0500

John Cowan wrote:

Given that this works, I think that the built-in XPath (or XSLT pattern)
support should concentrate on being simple and fast rather than maximally
flexible or 100% compliant.

I agree. I do think that the XPath engine should be 100% compliant within the limits of what I choose to implement; i.e. bug-free. On the other hand, I don't think I need to implement all of XPath.

One upside to Jaxen is that I do think the code base is simple enough that I can fix it if I need to. I haven't really looked at Saxon 8 yet. Possibly it has the same characteristic. I am concerned that the Saxon 8 API may not be stable enough yet, given Dr. Kay's focus on the evolving XPath 2.0 and XQuery specs. I'm also concerned that there may be areas where XPath 2.0 support introduces subtle incompatibilities with XPath 1.0. I'm not sure of any of this. These are just some concerns I'd need to address before committing to Saxon.

Either way, I really don't want to expose anything about the underlying implementation in the XOM API. I do want to be free to experiment with different engines.